(Click to open printable PDF Purpose Statement document)
The purpose of Gogo Grandmothers groups
Gogo Grandmothers groups share Christ's love and compassion with the
grandmothers and grandfathers who are caring for the grandchildren of Africa orphaned by AIDS.
"Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father
means caring for the orphans and widows in their distress . . .."
-- James 1:27 (NLT)
GOGO is a grandparent-to-grandparent project of SAFE (Sub-Saharan Africa Family Enrichment) in Malawi, Africa. It links grandparents from developed countries with grandmothers and grandfathers caring for orphans in developing countries, thereby addressing an outcome of the HIV/AIDS pandemic within a faith-based context.
("Gogo" means grandmother/grandfather in Chichewa, the national language of Malawi.)
The vision of Gogo Grandmothers is:
To share and exhibit Christ's love by providing physical, spiritual and emotional support to gogos and their orphaned grandchildren.
1 John 4:16,18 (affirming God's perfect love that casts out fear)
- To share God's original creative plan for humanity so that the grandparents' security is rooted in God's unconditional love for them.
Genesis 1:27-30 (affirming human dignity and equality of worth and responsibility)
The mission of Gogo Grandmothers is:
- To provide a connection and relationship between "providing grandparents" and "receiving grandparents" through:
a. Spiritual care: praying for each other
b. Physical care: providing resources
- To encourage and educate grandmothers and orphans in the prevention of HIV/AIDS, and the treatment of people living with HIV/AIDS
- To help poor grandmothers establish income generating activities (IGA).
- To provide projects and activities for fundraising